Skip to main content

Rose Hotel

The original portion of the building known today as the Rose Hotel is believed to have been constructed by James McFarland (1776-1837) and operated as a tavern and later an inn serving Ohio River travelers. The Rose Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

The Rose Hotel is a two-story “L”-shaped brick structure. Portions were constructed ca. 1830, ca. 1848, and following the Civil War. A striking veranda overlooking the Ohio River was added around 1866. The building has been “restored” and is used today as a bed-and-breakfast facility. A frame gazebo built in 1882 is located on the front lawn overlooking the river.